Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Zombies--Modern vs Historical!

 Modern Zombie or Historical Zombie: Which do you Prefer in the Apocalypse?


Hi! I’m Angie. Thanks for having me. It’s great of Alan to give up a post in order to host my discussion and I hope you’ll all join in and let your voice be heard.

There are many differences between the modern and historical zombie but probably the biggest, is speed. Zombies of the past were slow, clumsy, and apt to run into things because their eyes seemed not to work right.  Modern zombies fly along the walls and ceilings and they are incredibly fast. In a race with a modern zombie, average people will loose every time.

The newer zombie is also more lethal upon first contact. A historical zombie encounter would usually end in a bite that eventually turned the victim into a friend-attacking flesh eater. A modern zombie delivers death in a series of lightening fast bites that are impossible to avoid. Survivors are unlikely but those who are infected will become the walking dead with in minutes, another of the larger differences. Contagion is immediate.

And what about their intelligence? Zombies of the past were slow and dumb. Perhaps they craved brains to make themselves smart again. Either way, past walking dead were seen running into walls and beating against doors because they could not figure out how to turn the handles. Locks were rarely necessary, only boarding to prevent them from breaking through with their brute strength. A modern night walker races to cut victims off at the pass, hiding in clever ambushes, and are capable of great self control, unlike their relatives, who's blank eyes showed only one thing. Bloodlust.

There are a lot of differences between a modern zombie and a historical zombie, including communication skills, awareness of their surroundings, and how they set up dens. The new zombie has adapted into a dangerous foe that few would want to meet. It can communicate with its fellow undead and in films like: I am Legend, have developed a basic hierarchy of authority inside their clans. They now use their environment to their advantage, such as waiting until the sun goes down to hunt. They have gone from groups of brain craving biters, to serial-killing predators. Their instincts have sharpened. They have evolved.

So, which zombie is the one for you? Modern or Historical? Join the Discussion.

Would you like to check out one of my apocalyptic fantasy books?
This one has zombies- The Mountaineers: A Prelude
This one does not- The Survivors

Both just $.99!

9 comments:

  1. Historical zombies were slower...and a definite preference over the faster, more dangerous modern ones you describe.
    I'll take the slow, dumb ones, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx, for the comment, Marianne. Same here--slow and dumb for me. I'll live longer that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Trick or Treat! Thanks for playing Red’s Trick or Treat Bash! I’m looking forward to reading your book on my new Kindle! RedTash.com, Red sent me!”

    meandi09@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Red's Trick or Treat Bash was a success. Enjoy yuour kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer the historical, better odds at survival, plus the new ones don't make any sense. Hello, zombies are dead--they're decaying naturally they're going to be slower and stupid. And being a purist to the bottom of my unreanimated heart I don't think the new faster/intelligent ones are zombies at all--like the infected in 28 days later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only read my first post-apocalypse story last week and I really really liked it. It featured modern zombies so I'll have to choose them. However, now I'm curious to read about historical zombies. It'll be interesting to see how they interact and if some societal bounderies will still remain.

    Thank you for playing Red’s Trick or Treat Bash! RedTash.com, Red sent me!

    Cambonified (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Bash ends next week, Alan. You'll hear from me, I promise. :)

    Hi, Angie! See, I think of the I Am Legend monster as a vampire, vs. a zombie from the Omega Man movie that it was a remake of. Hrm...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trick or Treat! Thanks for playing Red’s Trick or Treat Bash! I’m looking forward to reading your book on my new Kindle! RedTash.com, Red sent me!
    deannalw47 AT yahoo DOT com
    xoxoox

    ReplyDelete